Welcome!
AMERICAN FLYER is a place where America's history, her founders, her Christian roots, her servicemen and women and her greatness are loved and appreciated, where America is praised and valued, not pilloried or vilified. God Bless America.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

An Exceptional Mother

I am proud to post on American Flyer the following from my cousin's daughter, Marisha. Simple and concise, in a nutshell this is one of the finest things I've ever read on parenting. It should be a mandatory lesson for every child starting the first grade. Consider also that Marisha suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and you'll understand why her accomplishment is not only admirable, it is exceptional. My hat's off. Thank you, Marisha.


"I always had many chores growing up. One of my summer chores was to help my mother grow vegetables. She would wake me up early and we'd put in many hours preparing the soil, making rows, planting seeds, weeding the beds and then harvesting of course. It never really bothered me until I became a teenager. I can still hear myself mouthing off to my mother, "why do I have to waste my time with this, it's not like I'm going to grow up and be a farmer!" I was partially right, I didn't become a "farmer". However this spring Justin and I set out to grow our own veggies. As we prepared the soil I dug my hands deep into the earth and with great confidence made rows and showed my son how to plant the seeds. Our crops were impressive, especially since we were limited in space. We didn't have to buy produce all summer and we had salad every night. I realize now that my mother had not just taught me how to grow vegetables, she had shown me the value of self-sufficiency which has endless possibilities. It was one of the most valuable lessons I've ever learned."

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the article by your cousins daughter

    ReplyDelete